Thursday, December 11, 2014

The agony of waiting

We have all had to test our patience at one point or another. And it sucks, doing nothing and feeling time ooze away second by second. The more important the thing you wait for is to you, the worst waiting will be because in this period of nothingness you can't help but go crazy.

Like most of my fellow high school seniors out there, I am currently waiting for a college decision for a school that I applied early to. Getting in would be a dream come true and I am positive that for at least a week after the acceptance, I will feel like the luckiest gal in the world. I have my post-acceptance plan all thought out out in my never-ending stream of fantasies and imagination: dance like a goof with my mother to "I'm sexy and I know it", go out to eat at one of those outdoor patio tables with my parents, and lounge around the house in my newly bought cozy onesie just to indulge in the euphoria.

 But as of right now, we shall wait, counting the days and hours (apparently it's less than 100 hrs) until decision day and agonizing over every weakness in our application. It's funny how while still in the process of the whole application ordeal, I looked forward to the waiting process because at least now, there's absolutely no more work. Boy was I wrong. Releasing all control to the almighty admission officers simply makes you feel powerless. Anxious. Insecure.  Now here I am, checking my application portal everyday fruitlessly for it remains stagnant, and taking part in the abundance of new posts on the college confidential forum filled with other anxious applicants. 

I don't believe everything happens for a reason because sometimes events simply happen out of mere chance, and there's nothing we could have done about it. However, I am a fervent believer that anything that happens to you will mold you and the way in which it does so depends on how you utilize the change. Instead of feeling nervous, we should feel excited. This, right now, is a turning point-- a pitch fork in the road that marks the end of one journey and the beginning of another.

Waiting sucks but changing your mindset can do wonders for those damn butterflies and doubt. There's so much of life to enjoy if we can walk this earth with a passion for reaching our dreams and a love for the journey that get's us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment